Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian Primary

Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian Primary

Additional Info

  • Principal: Mrs. Angela Lakhiram-Ramtahal
  • Address: Eastern Main Road, Sangre Chiquito
  • Contact Information: Phone: 691-3063
  • Population: Student Population: 161; Teaching staff: 6
  • Date Established: 1891
  • Our Mission:
    We are committed to working collaboratively with all stakeholders in providing quality education for each child so that he/she will be a creative, productive and accomplished member of society.
  • Message From Principal:

     

    principalWelcome to the Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian Primary School website. Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian Primary School aspires to create a conducive learning environment that caters for the holistic development of each child. We are a co-ed school, comprising of 161 students. We are situated on the outskirts of Sangre Grande, in a community that is generally quiet and offers the highest standard of pastoral care.

    This is an inclusive school, where all students are encouraged and empowered to succeed. Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian Primary School offers a variety of enjoyable and successful curricular and extra-curricular activities. The school, established over 124 years, is proud of its continued goal of providing quality education for our students. We have a dedicated and qualified staff, who constantly strives to produce creative, productive and accomplished members of society.

    Please enjoy navigating our website. This would be the start of an amazing and rewarding journey.

     

     

     

     

  • History of School:

     

    The Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian School was established in June, 1891 by the Rev. Dr. John Morton, the first Canadian Presbyterian Missionary to Trinidad. It was the first Presbyterian school built in the North Eastern Education District.

    The school was named after the village of Sangre Chiquito. The village in turn got its name from the early Spanish settlers, who found that the water of two tributaries of the Oropouche River was as red as blood. They gave that name to them ‘blood’ which is Sangre in Spanish. The larger tributary Sangre Grande and the smaller Sangre Chiquito.

    The Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian School is approximately three miles from the town of Sangre Grande.

    Rev. Morton worked among the East Indian Indentured labourers.After establishing schools in Iere village (1868), San Fernando (1871) and Tunapuna (1881) Rev. Morton learned of a barracks in Sangre Chiquito from indentured labourers John Denai and Sallick Gajadhar. These labourers were members of his flock in Tunapuna who after serving their indentureship period, chose to settle in this new village of Sangre Chiquito. Other labourers followed and barracks life continued on the Santa Estella Estate, the largest cocoa estate on the island at the time.

    When Rev. Dr. Morton visited the village in 1891, he met Dr. Murray who was the Warden in charge of developing the area. Dr. Murray’s biggest problem in starting a school (as mandated by Lord Harris the then English governor) was in overcoming the language barrier between himself ( an Englishman) and the East Indians who spoke Hindi and other dialects. Rev. Morton on the other hand, had overcome this hurdle and was invited to open the first school in this part of the country. In June 1891 a school was opened known as the Sangre Chiquito Canadian Mission School for Indians, later to be known as the Sangre Chiquito Presbyterian School. Its first principal was Mr. George W. Chandisingh. The small building served both as church and school. The school started with 24 children. Both adults and children of different races were encouraged to come and learn in the school.

    As the years followed, the building became old. Additionally, the population increased and more space was needed. The school was rebuilt and was opened by the Honourable Roy Joseph, Director of Education on the 24th. May, 1953. The principal at this time was Mr. G.R. Persad. In 1982 a small annex was built with the help from the PTA to accommodate the student population of over four hundred.

  • Additional School Info:

     

    Vision statement: To create a conducive learning environment that caters for the holistic development of each child so as to interact in a changing society.

  • Image Gallery:

     

    • sc1